Choose an efficient heating system
Heating can account for the largest portion of energy use. If your heating system needs to be replaced, choose an energy-efficient model.
What to look for:
- An efficient model. If it's time to replace your heating system, look for an ENERGY STAR® certified model.
- The right size. Your contractor should use a rigorous method to choose the right size for your home's heating system. He or she should go beyond square footage or the size of your current heating system to make this determination. Consulting current industry standards is key.
- A reputable, licensed contractor. For advice on how to hire a contractor, visit the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
- Correct placement. When installing a new heating system, your contractor should consult the model's manual carefully to put the unit in the optimal place, including allowing adequate room around the unit to allow for service and maintenance.
Good to know:
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance of your heating system can extend its life.
- Improve insulation and air sealing: Before replacing your heating system, consider improving the insulation and air sealing in your home. This may let you purchase a smaller system.