Turn off lights when not needed
An average home's lighting bill accounts for close to 4% of electricity costs. Turning lights off when you're not in the room is a simple way for you to lower your utility bill.
How it works:
- You save energy whenever you turn off a light,
- Turning a CFL on and off many times per day can reduce its operating life. Generally, it is cost effective to turn off a CFL when you won't need it for 15 minutes or more.
Things to think about:
- Make it a habit to turn lights off each time you leave a room. If the lights are CFL turn them off when you leave a room for longer than 15 minutes.
- Before you go to sleep, walk through your home and shut off any forgotten lights.
- To help get into the habit, try leaving eye-catching reminders near your lights and doorways.
- Encourage other family members to turn off their lights, as well. This is a great way for young children to do their part in saving energy.